Monday, May 12, 2008

Cloth diapers, cloth diapers, cloth diapers!!!


I started cloth diapering when my oldest was about 16 months old. I wondered if it would be worth it, because I didn't know if he would potty train soon. That was one of the best investments I've ever made. I bought two dozen premium chinese prefolds and 6 large proraps. I spent about $50 on that first order. I later ordered 6 extra large proraps, to keep up with him as he grew. He actually didn't potty train until right around his 3rd birthday. Then when the second baby came along I bought a dozen infant prefolds and some small/medium proraps. I spent about $100 total on cloth diapers. When some friends heard that I was cloth diapering they gave me snappis (these really cool devices that replace old fashioned diaper pins), liners for my diaper pail, and some more diapers. My 2-year old wears one diaper at night, and we use the original ones that I bought. We hope to have more kids and we'll use them again. I estimate that I've saved a couple thousand dollars in diapers.

2 comments:

areyougonna said...

Oops, I posted my comment about dipes in the book post. Here it is in the proper place...

We think along the same lines! I cloth dipe too and bought all my dipes used from Craig's list. I figure I spent about $50 on dipes for as many kiddos as I have. Plus I can resell and make a lot of that money back. So basically free diapes! I also used cloth wipes, not sure if you have tried that. (eliza from DAM)

Stephanie Rohloff said...

Somehow I randomly found your blog...my family is moving toward cloth diapers and I am looking for the best brands and places to buy from. If you have any ideas please let me know...