Sunday, June 22, 2008

Got the electric bill today

OY! It went from $133.14 last month to $231.71 this month. Our rate went from $0.13/kWh to $0.163/kWh. Time to switch. This morning, I used Powertochoose.com to compare rates. I'm thinking of getting on a fixed rate program, but in reading the fine print, I'm confused if it really is a fixed rate or not. I'll need to call them tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. There is one company, YEP, that supposedly has a fixed rate of $0.146/kWh....but the fine print makes me skeptical.

In the meantime, I'm kicking up the thermostat to 80 during the day, and 74 at night. I'm going to have a hard time getting used to sleeping with it warmer....I really like it cold when I sleep. I think I'll rummage through the garage and see if I can find a fan or two that still work.

I've been toying with putting up a clothesline, but I didn't have anywhere to put one up in the backyard. Yesterday we rigged one up in the garage. I read recently that it can cost as much as $1 per load of laundry that you dry, plus it heats up your house, and wears your clothes out faster.

Here's our new clotheline.....I just used what we had around the house. Michael had some twine in his toolbox and we used some brackets that were already hanging on the wall. That's one full load of laundry hanging up.

No comments: