Monday, June 30, 2008

The $1,000 essay


My goal has been to get through college while forking out as little money as possible. Getting good grades has been part of that. From the history/government dept. at my university, I was recently awarded a $1,000 scholarship for the fall. It was the highest scholarship the department offered. The funny thing is that I know that I didn't have the highest GPA of those that received scholarships. I talked to the scholarship coordinator some months beforehand, and he said that the awards were based on the GPA, and they also took the essays into high consideration. I wrote the best essays I could possibly write. I really took time with them, and I had several people proofread them for me. I was as honest as I could be about our goals and personal situation, and I was very proud of what I wrote.

At the awards banquet my professor came up to congratulate me and made a point of saying, "You were one of a few who really took the essays seriously."

1 comment:

Astreia said...

Way to go! Congratulations!