Monday, February 16, 2009

Homemade "Cinnabon" Cinnamon Rolls

Ethan was running a fever last night, so he stayed home from school today. And since he stayed home, of course he would be acting just fine all day. To keep them entertained, I decided we would make cinnamon rolls from the book Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy, that I just picked up from the library.

I used her recipe for the dough and filling, but her icing recipe required a lot of ingredients, so I opted to just make a simple milk & powdered sugar glaze. They were time consuming, but soooo worth it.

Cinnamon Rolls:
Dough:
1 T. dry yeast
1 c. warm milk
1/3 c. white sugar
1/2 c. soft butter
1 tsp salt (I omitted, because I used salted butter)
2 eggs
4 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball or put in a bread machine on the dough setting. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4-inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:
1/4 c. soft butter
1 c. brown sugar
3 T. cinnamon

Spread butter evenly on dough. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon evenly over buttered gouh. Roll up dough. Slice roll into 1-inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise until double in size. Bake 10 mns. at 400 degrees.

Icing:
1/2 c. soft butter
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 oz. cream cheese
2 tsp. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot spread icing on them.

or you can use my cheaper and simpler recipe for icing from my ancient Redbook cookbook:
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
4 tsp. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together and drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.

We ate some for dessert tonight and my husband raved over them. Ethan will love having one in his lunchbox tomorrow.


...I will not be making these after Friday when my biggest loser challenge starts :)

No comments: